- Start Here
- About Us
- Events & Workshops
- Get Involved
- ADR/Dispute Prevention
- Early Childhood Resource Library
- English Resource Library
- Military Resource Library
- Spanish Resource Library
- Youth Resource Library
- SPEAKout Blog
- Disability Organizations
You are here
PEAK wants families and self-advocates to be informed about current and upcoming legislative issues that may affect their family.
This is the place to find current, important legislative issues and information affecting people with disabilities in Colorado and the nation. There are decisions being made every day on a wide range of issues like civil rights, education, employment, health care, housing, technology, long term services and supports, funding, and more.
We encourage you to get involved so you can have a clear understanding of the issues and can take action to advocate for policies and accountability that protect children and adults with disabilities!
Legislative Alerts (Note: each of the links below will open in external, non-PEAK websites):
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (Formerly known as the No Child Left Behind)
- United Nation's Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Ways to Contact Your Legislator:
- Project Vote Smart - Learn about your representatives' voting records and more.
- GovTrack.us - Track: bills in Congress, your representatives' voting records, upcoming committee meetings, and sign up to get alerts by email!
- Colorado General Assembly
National Organizations Active in Legislative Advocacy:
- TASH Advocacy Alerts - TASH is an international leader in disability advocacy. Founded in 1975, TASH advocates for human rights and inclusion for people with significant disabilities and support needs – those most vulnerable to segregation, abuse, neglect and institutionalization.
- National Down Syndrome Congress (NDSC) Political Advocacy - Provides updates and action items related to major issues for persons with disabilities.
- The Arc Action Center - The Arc promotes and protects the human rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and actively supports their full inclusion and participation in the community. This site offers information related to key issues, the legislative agenda, and knowing your rights.
- National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) Action Center - NCLD works to improve the lives of children and adults nationwide with learning and attention issues by empowering parents and young adults, transforming schools and advocating for equal rights and opportunities. Their action center shares information about advocacy overall, the law, and ways to get involved!