- Start Here
- About Us
- Events & Workshops
- Get Involved
- ADR/Dispute Prevention
- Early Childhood Resource Library
- English Resource Library
- Military Resource Library
- Spanish Resource Library
- Youth Resource Library
- SPEAKout Blog
- Disability Organizations
You are here
PEAK Parent Center, Inc.
Title: Bilingual Parent Advisor
Supervisor: PTI Director
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
FTE: Part Time - 10 hours per week
Have you needed to help your child with a disability navigate the school system? Do you enjoy helping other parents acquire information to help their children? Would you like to work for an engaged non-profit that offers services to parents of children with disabilities? If so, read on!
PEAK Parent Center is seeking a part-time Bilingual Parent Advisor for their Colorado Springs, CO office.
The purpose of this position is to provide individualized information, resources, and strategies to families who have children with disabilities or special learning needs by phone, email, or in person. The individual will also conduct some trainings in English and Spanish throughout the state of Colorado.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Respond in a timely manner to requests from families and others contacting PEAK for personal assistance through information and support.
- Provide families up-to-date information about current special education issues and laws.
- Brainstorm proactive problem-solving strategies with families.
- Provide follow-up resource materials and notes to callers, drop ins, and email requests.
- Collect accurate intake data of all parent advising calls and simultaneously input information simultaneously into an electronic database.
- Serve as a PEAK trainer for workshops and webinars as requested.
- Maintain knowledge base about current issues and laws regarding children with disabilities, state of the art educational and service delivery practices, designated listservs, and resources available throughout Colorado and nationwide.
- Prepare social media posts in Spanish as requested by project lead.
- Ensure all written materials disseminated are accurate and of high quality.
- Market PEAK's resources and trainings to schools, family and community groups, and media sources.
- Communicate with families and the public about PEAK's resources in a manner that maintains favorable public perceptions of PEAK's accomplishments and services.
- Ensure that resource materials are electronically filed according to naming convention and easily located by staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Is a parent/caregiver of a child holding a disability diagnosis (ages birth to 26) who receives or has received special education services in a Colorado public school or is a self-advocate with a disability
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills to interact with families and community leaders
- Experience in providing support to families in a culturally competent manner
- Understanding of social justice issues
- Public speaking skills for trainings
- Knowledge of special education and general education systems and laws
- Understanding of current best practices in education, community supports, & services
- Proficiency with databases, Word, PowerPoint, & Excel
- Strong customer service skills and principles
- Detail orientation
- Team player
- Bilingual (English and Spanish language skills- written and verbal) REQUIRED
- Has the ability to travel and to work long hours at conferences or events at designated times.
- Has the ability to occasionally work evening and weekend hours.
- Must follow proper safety procedures when performing physical job tasks.
- May be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
Pay: $20 an hour
Hours: 10 hours per week during normal business hours. The position also includes some weekend and evening trainings, which may include overnight stays furnished by PEAK Parent Center.
Location: 917 E Moreno Avenue, Suite 140, Colorado Springs, CO 80903.
To apply: Please email cover letter, resume, and letters of recommendation/reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due 10/31/2022 at 12 pm MST.