- Start Here
- About Us
- Events & Workshops
- Get Involved
You are here
Part-Time Bilingual (Spanish and English) Parent Advisor
Part-Time Bilingual Parent Advisor
Have you needed to help your child with a disability navigate the school system? Do you enjoy helping other parents acquire information to help their children? Would you like to work for an engaged non-profit that offers services to parents of children with disabilities? If so, read on!
The mission of PEAK Parent Center is to provide training, information and technical assistance to equip families of children birth through twenty-six including all disability conditions with strategies to advocate successfully for their children. As a result of PEAK's services to families and professionals, children and adults with disabilities will live rich, active lives participating as full members of their schools and communities.
The purpose of a PEAK Parent Advisor is to provide individualized information, resources, and strategies to English and Spanish speaking families who have children with disabilities or special learning needs by phone, email, or in person. Using their Spanish language and presentation skills, the individual in this role will also conduct training workshops throughout the state of Colorado.
- Approximately 10 hours a week
- Starting salary: $16-18
- Remote with at least 1 day in the Aurora office and 1 day in the Colorado Springs office per month
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Respond in a timely manner to requests from families and others contacting PEAK for personal assistance through information and support.
- Provide families up-to-date information about current special education issues and laws.
- Brainstorm proactive problem-solving strategies with families.
- Provide follow-up resource materials and notes to callers,drop ins, and email requests.
- Collect accurate intake data of all parent advising calls and simultaneously input information simultaneously into an electronic database.
- Serve as a PEAK trainer for workshops and webinars as requested.
- Maintain knowledge base about current issues and laws regarding children with disabilities, state of the art educational and service delivery practices, designated listservs, and resources available throughout Colorado and nationwide.
- Ensure all written materials disseminated are accurate and of high quality.
- Market PEAK's resources and trainings to schools, family and community groups, and media sources.
- Communicate with families and the public about PEAK's resources in a manner that maintains favorable public perceptions of PEAK's accomplishments and services.
- Ensure that resource materials are electronically filed according to naming convention and easily located by staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in both Spanish and English language skills required
- Practical knowledge and experience with the range of disabilities and challenges addressed by IDEA and other laws; disability culture; and, preferably experience working with families of children with disabilities.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills to interact with families and community leaders
- Experience in providing support to families in a culturally competent manner
- Understanding of social justice issues
- Public speaking skills for trainings
- Knowledge of special education and general education systems and laws
- Understanding of current best practices in education, community supports and services
- Proficiency with databases, Word, PowerPoint, & Excel
- Strong customer service skills and principles
- Detail orientation
- Team player
- Parent/caregiver of a child with disabilities or self-advocate with a disability (preferred)
- Must have the ability to travel throughout Colorado with occasional overnight travel
- Must be able to work long hours at conferences or events occasionally as required.
- Hold a current Colorado Drivers' license and proof of valid insurance
- Follow proper safety procedures when performing physical job tasks
- Participate in staff development activities as required
Application packets can also be mailed or dropped-off (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) at PEAK Parent Center, 917 E. Moreno Avenue, Suite 140, Colorado Springs, CO 80903.
Application deadline: 04/19/2019