- Start Here
- About Us
- Events & Workshops
- Get Involved
You are here
Parent and Youth Support Services
PEAK Parent Center was founded by parents of children with disabilities, and supporting families to create great lives is at the foundation of all that we do. Many of PEAK’s services focus on supporting parents and youth including:
- Parent Advising in both English and Spanish: Connections to trained parent advisors who provide individualized information, support, and referrals to families by phone, email, and in-person. Information is available on a variety of topics including the special education process and parent rights, access to inclusive schools and communities, positive behavior supports, transition to adulthood, and much more!
- Youth Advising in English and Spanish: Connections to transition specialists who provide individualized information, support, and referrals to self-advocates, youth, and parents by phone, email, and in-person.
- Connections to evidence-based resources that support the inclusion of individuals with disabilities in all walks of life.
- Webinars & Community Workshops: Free community workshops in locations across Colorado, plus online webinars on key topics for families, youth, and educators.
- Parent Connectors: Parent Connectors located in various communities across the State of Colorado. PEAK’s Connectors ensure that families and educators receive information about PEAK’s resources so they can build their capacity to work together to improve educational results for students with disabilities.
- Colorado Calendar: An online calendar of disability-related events, happening across the State of Colorado, being hosted by PEAK and other community groups.
- Parent and Self-Advocate Leadership Courses:
- A parent leadership course for families of children with disabilities to heighten skills to become viable stakeholders and partner with others to improve outcomes and to change systems to become responsive to children’s individual needs
- A leadership course for self-advocates to learn communication and self-advocacy skills so they can advocate effectively and understand their rights and responsibilities.
- Electronic Sharing of Information:
- SPEAKout Blog
- Colorado Calendar
- Resource Library
- (External link to PEAK's social media) Facebook
- (External link to PEAK's social media) Twitter
- Annual Conference on Inclusive Education*: Our annual Conference on Inclusive Education holds the tools you need to reinvent schools to be places where all students can achieve success! This conference is an excellent development opportunity for everyone involved in the education and support of students with disabilities. At this conference, we value various, distinct groups (family members, self-advocates, general and special education teachers and administrators, school professionals, etc.) coming together to learn and build capacity and collaboration.
Professional Development for Families and Educators As Fee-for-Services *
PEAK has a commitment to collaboration and looks to partner with state education, early childhood, rehabilitation, medical, and other communities to create systems changes that improve outcomes for children and adults with disabilities. But, due to very limited funding, school districts, community groups, and agencies can contract with PEAK on a fee-for-service basis for consultation, customized in-service trainings, curriculum development, in-service presentations, and additional workshops. Some examples of PEAK’s fee-for-services programs include:
- Families as Faculty Projects
- Customized In-Service Trainings
- Systems Level Consultations
- Curriculum Development
- Person Centered Planning Facilitation and Training
Technical Assistance to Parent Centers
PEAK is the Regional Parent Technical Assistance Center (RPTAC) for Parent Centers in Region D of the national network of Parent Centers. In this role, PEAK provides Technical Assistance services to 17 Parent Centers in 11 states including: (Alaska: PTI - Stone Soup Group, Arizona: PTI - Raising Special Kids, California: PTI - Warmline, California: PTI - PHP, California: PTI - Matrix, California: PTI - Support for Families, California: PTI - DREDF, California: PTI - Exceptional Parents Unlimited, California: PTI - TASK - 2 PTI Projects, Colorado: PTI - PEAK Parent Center, Hawaii: PTI - LDAH, Idaho: PTI: IPUL, Nevada: PTI - PEP, New Mexico: PTI - Parents Reaching Out, Oregon: PTI - FACT, Utah: PTI - Utah Parent Center, Washington: PTI - PAVE). Learn about technical assistance available to Region D Parent Centers.
*Indicates that the service has an associated cost.